2. World Press Freedom Index (specifically about UAE)
8. Cursing can be considered defamation in the UAE. You can get three months for gestures and swearing and a fine of 500 aed
9. Online Magazine Was Shut Down By Court for One Month and Fined 10,000 AED for Defaming Business, Calling It “Emirati in Name Only”
10. Defamation Laws Keep the Aggrieved Quiet, 2011. Lawyer criticized a developer in a public forum. The developer took the case to the police and a prosecutor went after the lawyer for criticizing the developer.
11. YouTube Video Puts UAE Defamation Laws in Spotlight
12. British civil engineer complained, using profanity, that a mosque construction project would not be completed. He was deported.
13. ‘Satiric’ Video Leads to Jail Term for American in Dubai.
14. American to be Released from Jail for Spoof Video.
15. Spoof Video Shines Light on How We Are As a Society.
16. Criticism of UAE Courts Must Be Constructive
“We are not perfect and we try to change it. Any mistakes, we go in and try to change it. We’re not perfect, but we are doing our best,” said Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum in a BBC interview, when asked about the case of Shezanne Cassim, who was detained on cybercrime charges after posting a video mocking youth culture. He also said that the treatment of the US citizen who spent nine months in jail was unsatisfactory, and suggested it was a mistake the UAE could learn from.
17. Man accused of insulting UAE leaders online referred to State Security Court (The National, January 2015)
18. Man Who Defamed UAE on Twitter Jailed for Three Years (The National, November 2014)
19. Man Fined for Telling People on Facebook and WhatsApp That Syrian Is ‘Con Man’ (October 2014)
20. Emirati Is Accused of Defaming UAE (October 2014). More (Sept. 2014)
21. Company Drops Defamation Lawsuit Against American Employee Over Facebook Comments.
22. Man Accused of Insulting UAE Leaders Online Referred to State Security Court. (The National)
23. Woman Guilty of Online Insult Gets Jail Sentence Reduced to DH300 Fine
24. Man Appears in Court for Funding ISIL and Defaming UAE. Later: Jailed for 10 Years.
25. Man Who Defamed UAE Could Be Suffering from Social Isolation (The National)
26. ‘I Verbally Abused An Emirati Man on WhatsApp. Can I Be Charged?‘ (The National)
27. Man accused of insulting woman after dialling wrong number
28. Dubai court clears manager of verbally assaulting employee
29. Man did not mean to insult woman when he told her to ‘get lost’, court hears
30. Dubai court fines woman Dh2,000 for insulting love rival